I’m not a veteran, though my co-blogger Bruce Henderson is. But my mother (the genealogist) sent me a list of veterans in our extended family. Here’s the list (with a few additions of my own) in rough reverse chronological order:
- Jon A. Webster, USMC (active) — currently at Camp Pendleton, awaiting deployment to Iraq [son]
- Heather Harris, US Army National Guard (former) — [daughter]
- Greg Barsic, USMC (former), USCG (active) — currently serving in the US Coast Guard in San Diego [son-in-law]
- Frank Wallace, USMC (former) — [married to my niece]
- Brad Poeltler, USN (ret.) –former Naval Aviator in the F-14 RAG [brother-in-law]
- Robert Wendt, USN (ret.) — former Navy pilot [former brother-in-law]
- Bill Lowell, US Army (former) — [former brother-in-law]
- John A. Webster, USN (ret.) — served in both WW II and Vietnam [my father]
- James Francis Webster, USN — served in WW II [my paternal grandfather]
- John Silas Fickes, CSM, USN — served in WW I, Mexican War (1920), and WW II [my maternal grandfather]
- John William Fickes, 1st Sgt., Co. A, PA Militia, 8th Reg. Infantry — served in Spanish-American War [my great-grandfather]
- James Edward Taylor, Pvt. Co. D, II PA Volunteer Infantry — Civil War [my great-great-grandfather]
[Update – Henderson]
Extending an excellent post with a salute to the vets in my family:
- Andy Henderson, USN (active) — [nephew] Currently at NAS Jacksonville, awaiting sea duty aboard USS Kitty Hawk early 2008.
- Bruce Henderson, USMC (former) — Yes, I was a Jar Head
- Ian Henderson, RAF — [my dear departed father] RAF pilot who served the crown during the Battle of Britain as well the far east as a flight leader. He lied about his age to join the flight corps and was a decorated Ace for combat action.
- Ron Henderson, RAF — [uncle] RAF radio man,
- Jim Zimmerman, Illinois National Guard (former) — My uncle Jim served 2 tours in the National Guard
- Robert Zimmerman, USN — My dear departed step-grandfather served in the US Navy during WW2
- Howard Martin, USN — My biological grandfather was a pilot who died in WWII when my mother was just a child
- Peter Anderson, USMC — My dear departed uncle Peter served with Marine Intel during Vietnam
God bless them all, and God bless America. ..bruce..